Blockchain Cloud Identity
A key innovation for the public sector is defined through the intersection of the Blockchain and Digital Identity, aka ‘Blockchain Cloud Identity’.
For example Blockstack offers this proposed definition of Blockchain Identity:
A blockchain identity (or blockchain ID) is a generic term used to refer to any identity on the blockchain. Users can have one blockchain identity or many and can register them just like one would register domain names or accounts on Facebook or Twitter.
BraveNewCoin writes about the ‘Blockchain Cloud’, exploring further integration between the blockchain and the computing infrastructure of the Internet. Cloud providers like Microsoft offer ‘BaaS’ – Blockchain as a Service.
Foundations for Digital Transformation
The best way to think about this type of technology is that it plays a keystone role for all aspects of the digital economy.
It’s not a point solution to one specific scenario, for example Bitcoin leverages the blockchain to facilitate a secure digital currency, but it’s only one of a myriad of potential applications, a wholesale ‘upgrade’ to the Internet itself, such that these powerful features are built right into it, in the same way HTTP is the common protocol for sharing web information.
For example as Namecoin describes the DNS is the current backbone identity system, it translates domain names into IP addresses. It works very effectively but it’s really quite an old technology and thus is ideal for this type of upgrade.
The critical role of Identity is easy to quantify – Government programs like Gov.UK Verify are the early steps to better join up government systems via Identity as the common mechanism, so that access to online government services is much smoother and quicker, but again that’s only one small step (on a journey towards Self-Sovereign Identity).
Shocard is an example of a vendor providing this type of technology, highlighting how it can be used for a multitude of possible scenarios, from online government through exciting new FinTech scenarios. Bank AlJazira has partnered with them to reduce fraud.
The Ben-Gurion University offers this paper on Blockchain Cloud Identity and features Shocard as one of the vendors reviewed.
They are the type of vendor that highlights the enormous potential for ‘GovTech‘ entrepreneurs – Developers can utilize these building blocks to build a suite of next generation Digital Government apps, like a Digital Drivers Licence as their image shows.
This Silicon Angle article describes the developer opportunity:
For security developers, ShoBadge’s core potential is that it can be expanded to integrate with the entire enterprise ecosystem. The company said its system can be used to eliminate the need for vulnerable third-party identity networks. It can be used to consolidate employee identity management as well as management for partners, sales channels, contractors and customers.
- Harnessing the The Platform Revolution - October 18, 2018
- AWS Digital Government – Blueprint for a Digital Nation - October 18, 2018
- Netflix – Exemplar blueprint for Cloud Native Computing - October 17, 2018
- British Columbia pioneers Self-Sovereign Identity – Building Digital Trust into the Web - October 8, 2018
- Legacy to Azure Cloud Migration - October 7, 2018
- Microsoft expands Azure Data Box family with Edge and Gateway products - October 7, 2018
- Tasktop – Value Stream Architecture - October 7, 2018
- ITIL and Cloud Native DevOps – Managing high volume complexity with Nirmata - October 6, 2018
- Microsoft expands Azure Data Box family with Edge and Gateway products - September 30, 2018
- Comic Relief: Multi-Cloud Microservices with Cloud Foundry for Massive Scale E-Commerce - September 30, 2018