As Dean Paron Director, Azure Data Box, explains in his blog, Microsoft have announced general availability of the Data Box Family, also adding new products including the Azure Data Box Edge and the Azure Data Box Gateway, as well as introducing the 1 PB Azure Data Box Heavy option.
Data Box Edge, an on-premises appliance with AI-enabled edge compute capabilities.
Data Box Edge acts as a storage gateway, creating a link between your site and Azure storage. This makes moving data into and out of Azure storage as easy as working with a local network share. Data Box Edge provides a local cache and optimizes network traffic to and from the cloud.
Data Box Edge also provides a computing platform via IoT Edge, which lets you deploy Azure services and custom code and applications to the edge. This means that you can analyze, filter, or transform your data right at the edge as part of your workflow. And to accelerate machine-learning workloads, Data Box Edge will have FPGA option powered by Microsoft’s Project Brainwave.
The Data Box Family
In this video Mathew Dickson joins Donovan Brown to discuss the Data Box family of solutions to meet the challenge of moving data to the cloud. Azure Data Box offline devices help you transfer large amounts of data to Azure when the network isn’t an option. Data Box online products act as network storage gateways to intelligently manage data between your site and Azure.
With Data Box Edge, Microsoft is adding online capabilities to the Azure Data Box family and integrating the compute capabilities of Azure IoT Edge, a solution used by customers such as Cree.
Due to their tremendous growth, Cree needed a storage solution capable of keeping up with their business needs. By using Data Box Edge, they have been able to support their growth by storing data in the cloud.
Sponsors of this article
- API-Enabled Digital Ecosystems: From Product to Platform - November 13, 2018
- Architecture-driven Cloud migration and transformation - November 9, 2018
- Digital Maturity Model – A Framework for Planning Digital Transformation - November 9, 2018
- Digital Business Architecture – Enterprise Architecture and Digital Transformation - November 9, 2018
- Stephen Orban and Edward Wilson-Smythe: Driving Business Value through Technology - October 29, 2018
- Stephen Orban and Edward Wilson Smythe: Value Added Work in the Digital Economy - October 29, 2018
- Stephen Orban and Edward Wilson Smythe: CTOs Making Decisions that Boost Your Business - October 29, 2018
- Stephen Orban and Edward Wilson Smythe on Overcoming Regulatory and Organizational Roadblocks in IT - October 29, 2018
- AWS Summit 2015 | Singapore Keynote - October 29, 2018
- Stephen Orban and Edward Wilson Smythe on Solutions to Align CIO Expectations and IT - October 29, 2018