Wikipedia describes Microservices as a variant of the service-oriented architecture (SOA) architectural style that structures an application as a collection of loosely coupled services. In a microservices architecture, services should be fine-grained and the protocols should be lightweight.
Martin Fowler is a renowned industry expert and describes them as:
The term “Microservice Architecture” has sprung up over the last few years to describe a particular way of designing software applications as suites of independently deployable services. While there is no precise definition of this architectural style, there are certain common characteristics around organization around business capability, automated deployment, intelligence in the endpoints, and decentralized control of languages and data.
- With an API Design for Microservices,
- Microservices as API Enablement, Registries, Walmart,
- Blockchain apps with microservices
- Containers, Multi-Cloud and Microservices,
- One principle at the heart of the Cloud Native model is ‘Containerized Microservices’, referring to the use of containers as the deployment method for software modules defined as microservices level code. The general scenario is introduced by IBM in this white paper. Microservices, Container and Docker, and Docker and Rancher enable Microservice Containers.
- Principles: self-organizing microservices,
- Cloud Native Recipes: Building Minimal Docker Images, Creting Microservices in Rust and Diesel,
- the overall impact of the trend on the EA and tools landscape, most notably through asking the question does it meanthe end of the ESB?
- Enterprise Microservices –Death of the ESB?How enterprises benefit,JBoss,Microservices vs SOA,
- Java Microservices Architecture,Java Microservices, –Using Java to build REST , DCHQ whospecialize in Java containers.Microprofile, templates for Java microservices