By using AWS, the Government of Ontario is able to make government information and services accessible to everyone.
The Government of Ontario, Canada’s largest province with about 14 million people, looks after everything from healthcare and education to transportation and the environment. With the mandate to provide citizens with services clearly, quickly, and reliably, the Ontario Digital Services team turned to AWS to experiment with its website, Ontario.ca.
By shifting the website to the AWS Cloud, the site stopped going down, they had a disaster recovery solution, and auto-scaling capabilities, all without requiring an expensive infrastructure purchase.
21st Century Government
Zeena Abdulla describes how despite the size of the province, the Ontario Digital Service actually started very small with a limited budget, a constraint that led them to explore the use of AWS.
To begin with they knew very little about the service, and through trial and error they mastered the technology and this empowered their technology experts. Zeena says:
“If you want to be a 21st century government, working in the open, sharing, working iteratively, experimenting are the key skills you need. This is the future, and a team that is really small and may not have the craziest skill sets can actually do pretty mighty things with the right tools, and that would be my message to other governments, to other public servants, just believe you can do great things.”
- Harnessing the The Platform Revolution - October 18, 2018
- AWS Digital Government – Blueprint for a Digital Nation - October 18, 2018
- Netflix – Exemplar blueprint for Cloud Native Computing - October 17, 2018
- British Columbia pioneers Self-Sovereign Identity – Building Digital Trust into the Web - October 8, 2018
- Legacy to Azure Cloud Migration - October 7, 2018
- Microsoft expands Azure Data Box family with Edge and Gateway products - October 7, 2018
- Tasktop – Value Stream Architecture - October 7, 2018
- ITIL and Cloud Native DevOps – Managing high volume complexity with Nirmata - October 6, 2018
- Microsoft expands Azure Data Box family with Edge and Gateway products - September 30, 2018
- Comic Relief: Multi-Cloud Microservices with Cloud Foundry for Massive Scale E-Commerce - September 30, 2018