Weaveworks makes it fast and simple for developers and DevOps teams to build and operate powerful containerized applications.
The Weave Cloud operations-as-a-service platform provides a continuous delivery pipeline for building and operating applications, letting teams connect, monitor and manage microservices and containers on any server or public cloud. Weaveworks also contributes to several open source projects, including Weave Scope, Weave Cortex and Weave Flux.
Founded in 2014, the Company is backed by Google Ventures and Accel Partners, and was one of the first members of the Cloud Native Computing Forum.
Comprehensive Kubernetes Management
- Ship faster with version controlled continuous delivery.
- Run efficiently with full-stack observability through workload dashboards and alerts.
- Diagnose application performance issues in real time with troubleshooting dashboards.
- Operate confidently using developer tools you love and understand.
Weave Cloud’s multi-tenant, scalable Prometheus service allows for auto-generated charts with resource usage over time across workloads and clusters. A sophisticated alerting system combined with your favorite notification tool allow developers and operators to quickly drill-down and identify root cause and immediately eliminate issues.
GitOps – An operating model for building cloud native applications
Weaveworks has pioneered and defined ‘GitOps‘ best practices:
“1. An operating model for Kubernetes and other cloud native technologies, providing a set of best practices that unify deployment, management and monitoring for containerized clusters and applications.
2. A path towards a developer experience for managing applications; where end-to-end CICD pipelines and git workflows are applied to both operations, and development. “
As the term suggests it’s an approached based on using Git as the central, single source of truth for application development and deployment. there is a ‘source of truth’ for both your infrastructure and application code, allowing development teams to increase velocity and improve system reliability.
Your system configuration is defined and stored in a version control system, with the use of software agents to detect when this changes and automatically update the production environment to match it.
GitOps.tech offers this guide:
This approach brings many benefits:
- Your apps can be easily deployed and rolled back to and from Kubernetes. And even more importantly, when disaster strikes, your cluster’s infrastructure can also be dependably and quickly reproduced. This trivializes rollbacks; where you can use a `Git revert` to go back to your previous application state.
- When you use Git workflows to manage your cluster, you automatically gain a convenient audit log of all cluster changes outside of Kubernetes. An audit trail of who did what, and when to your cluster can be used to meet SOC 2 compliance and ensure stability.
- Continuous deployment automation with an integrated feedback control loop speeds up Mean Time to Deployment. Your team can ship 30-100 times more changes per day, increasing overall development output 2-3 times.
Operations by Pull Request
Weaveworks enables the GitOps core machinery is in its CI/CD tooling with the critical piece being continuous deployment (CD) that supports Git-cluster synchronization, and they offer training and professional services to support it’s implementation.